Photobucket

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Writer's Checklist...another FREEBIE!!!

So I know I've raved about my mentor teacher from student teaching before, but I'm about to again because she was that wonderful! The way that she handled journal writing was awesome. She managed to conference with every child about his/her journal everyday, giving each child a comment or two and helping them become better writers with her constructive criticism.
 
Each student had a Writer's Checklist and as they finished their journals each day, they had to check off everything on their writer's checklists and include the checklist with their journals when they turned them in. They were first graders, but they took their writer's responsibilities  very seriously! Last year with my fifth graders I used the same checklists. Now I am using them with my second graders, as well. For some reason, these checklists make writing FUN for the kids! (It's the little things, right?) The checklists are lamintated and the kids use their dry erase markers to check off all the parts they have completed before turning in their journals and they truly enjoy checking off all the things they've accomplished.
 
I'm just getting around to implementing the Work on Writing part of Daily Five, so right now I'm doing mini-lessons on each of the checklist's requirements. They're all basic writing skills that you teach anyway, but the checklist can serve as a guide on what to teach.
 
I've included the normal checklist that I've used with every grade I've taught, but there is also a simplified version for lower students and younger students.
 
 
 
Pick up your FREE copies of these checklists {here}!
Thanks a bunch, Mrs. Day!!!!!

3 comments:

Heather's Heart said...

Thank you for sharing this great *freebie*. I love anything that can help our kiddos love writing! =)

I am one of your newest followers. I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance. =)

Heather
Heather's Heart

Jess said...

This is such a wonderful resource. Thanks so much for sharing! I will be making these pronto and having my kids check their writing using these!
Rambling About Reading

luckeyfrog said...

Thanks! I love these- so simple!

Jenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

 
back to top